Birthday Weekend Recap 🎉❤️
My birthday celebrations continued through the weekend, and I’m grateful for all the memories I got to make with my family and Delaney.
On Saturday, August 29th, my family, Delaney, and I went to Ricardo’s for lunch. I had the ravioli and meatballs, and afterward we celebrated with cookie cake and ice cream. 🍪🎂🍦 It was a simple moment, but having everyone together made it special. Sometimes the best birthday memories aren’t about doing anything huge—they’re about being surrounded by the people you love.
Then came Sunday, August 30th—my actual birthday! 🎉 I started my birthday by going to church. For me, that was a meaningful way to begin another year of life by thanking God for how far I’ve come, the people He has placed in my life, and the opportunities I’ve been given.
Autism has also played a big role in my journey and even in how I experience celebrations like my birthday. Being around groups of people, different noises, busy restaurants, church services, and changes in routine can sometimes feel overwhelming. Over the years, though, I’ve learned more about myself, my sensory needs, and what helps me feel comfortable.
Having Delaney and my family around also makes a difference. Being with people who know me and support me helps me enjoy moments that might have been harder for me in the past.
Being autistic is part of who I am, and when I look back at how far I’ve come—from being nonverbal as a child to becoming an advocate, storyteller, college graduate, and author—I have a lot to be thankful for.
Turning another year older reminds me that progress doesn’t always happen overnight. Sometimes it happens little by little: becoming more comfortable in new environments, learning how to handle sensory challenges, finding my voice, and continuing to push beyond what people may have expected from me.
August 30th wasn’t just another birthday. It was another reminder of my journey, my growth, my faith, and the people who continue to walk beside me.
Here’s to another year of memories, growth, advocacy, faith, and continuing to show the world that autism is only one part of my story. ❤️🧩🙏🏾
- Daniel Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment