Autism Group Millcreek Karate

 As I got ready to leave on the lift


To go to the Autism Social group today 


I got greeted again by the staff 


And my peers who were there 


I got there a little bit early 


But I wasn’t waiting too long 


For the event to start 


Because this time 


We are doing Karate 


With the Millcreek Karate Class today 


Which I was really excited for 


They we’re here at the Autism Group 


To give us a mini session 


To learn some Karate moves 


And teach us about Karate 


And before we got started 


We had pizza and cinnamon buns


With Icing for lunch


I was talking to some of my peers


Downstairs in the basement 


Where we were setting up at


I asked him if he was nervous 


He said yes because it’s his first time 


Doing this and learning a new skill 


Just like me 


Even though I told one of the staff 


I won’t be participating because 


I just had surgery done on my right foot 


And I didn’t want any setbacks 


Done to it while I’m preparing 


For the next surgery on my left foot


So I was observing for a little bit 


Then I ended up joining the class


Cause I couldn’t watch anymore 


I wanted to join in on the fun 


And learn a few moves


And I didn’t want to do too much 


On my right foot 


We learned how to do


Kicks blocks and punches 


And when we do a


Kick or punch 


We had to say Hi Yah!


Which gives you more power 


in your punch or kick 


One of the instructors 


Told me that I should take karate classes 


And told me that I was really good at 


Doing these moves 


And said that 


I was doing them perfect 


And also asked me do I exercise 


Because I was really strong


And asked me do I play sports 


I told him that I played in the marching band 


And that I didn’t do any sports as much 


But I’m a very athletic and active person 


He said I can tell


And one of the Autism Staff


Said that she thinks I could be


A great student at it


Because she thinks that 


I’m holding back at my abilities


I didn’t know I could even punch 


That hard and they were 


Surprised at how hard that


I could hit the punching pad


Everyone had to move the tables 


And chairs out the way


And we had to put these puzzle pieces 


Down on the floor 


Separated 


So that each one of us could stand on it


So that we could get in our positions


When we do our moves


After everyone had did some moves


One individual ended up 


Showing some of her own moves 


While playing eye of the tiger


To the instructor who was in awe of it


It went on for about 5 minutes 


It almost was like a talent show 


It was kinda funny in a good way 


Other than that we had got done 


With the session 


And I enjoyed every bit of it


And the instructor also said that 


He has classes starting in January 


But I’ll be recovering in surgery until then


And I really won’t be able to 


Engage in any activities yet


Not until my doctor clears me 


But I will be taking classes soon hopefully 


After my surgery for exercise


And self defense 


And will be going to a gym 


To work on my weight loss journey 


But to sum it up


I enjoyed every bit of it 


Even though I wish I had 


My brother get to experience this session 


With me


I felt okay doing it alone today 


As it helped with my


Independence as also 


Being on the spectrum 


- David Gillespie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Bowling Party for Luther