The Brown Side of Autism: Respect, Not Rhetoric

 Recently, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro spoke out about something that hits close to home for me and so many others in the autism community. He called out the way public figures like RFK Jr. and Donald Trump have spoken about autism—words that don’t just stay words, but can shape how people see us, treat us, and support us.


Let me be clear: autism is not something that should ever be disrespected, dismissed, or used as a talking point.


As someone who was diagnosed at three years old and was once nonverbal, I know what it feels like to be misunderstood. I know what it feels like when people underestimate you, talk over you, or act like your voice doesn’t matter. So when people in positions of power speak carelessly about autism, it doesn’t just affect policies—it affects real people like me.


It affects families trying to get support.

It affects kids who are still finding their voice.

It affects how society chooses to see us.


That’s why what’s happening here in Pennsylvania matters.


Governor Shapiro made it clear that, regardless of what’s happening at the federal level, protections for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (ID/A) will remain in place. That matters. He also signed executive orders to ensure that people in our community actually have a seat at the table, that our private information is protected, and that the services we rely on stay accessible.


That’s what real support looks like.


Not fear.

Not misinformation.

Not disrespect.


Support looks like listening.

It looks like inclusion.

It looks like making sure we’re not just talked about—but talked with.


As a Black autistic man, I also carry another layer of what it means to be misunderstood. The “Brown Side of Autism” isn’t just about diagnosis—it’s about culture, identity, and fighting to be seen fully in a world that often overlooks us.


So when leaders choose dignity over division, it matters.


But this isn’t just about politics. It’s about people.


It’s about recognizing that autistic individuals are not problems to be fixed—we are people with voices, purpose, and value. We deserve respect in conversations, in classrooms, in workplaces, and in policy decisions.


No matter what gets said on a national stage, I’m going to keep using my voice.


Because I was once silent.


And now—I’m not.


And I’m not speaking just for me. I’m speaking for every person who’s ever been overlooked, underestimated, or unheard.


Respect us. Listen to us. Stand with us.


Because our voices matter.


 - Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther