🧩 Advocating for Autistic Voices That Go Unheard
There are a lot of conversations happening about autism—but not enough of them include autistic people themselves.
Too often, decisions, assumptions, and narratives about autism are shaped by people who don’t actually live with it. That creates a gap. And in that gap, real voices get overlooked.
I know what that feels like.
Living on the spectrum means I’ve experienced moments where people spoke about me instead of to me. Moments where they assumed what I could or couldn’t do before I even had the chance to show them. And moments where my silence, processing style, or communication differences were misunderstood as absence rather than difference.
But being autistic doesn’t mean being voiceless. It means being communicated with differently.
🧠 Autism is not one voice—it’s many
There is no single way autism looks, sounds, or shows up. Some people are verbal, some are nonverbal. Some process quickly, others take more time. Some show emotions outwardly, others hold them inside.
When people only listen to one type of autistic experience, they miss the full picture.
That’s why autistic voices need space—not just sympathy or awareness, but real inclusion.
🧩 What being unheard actually looks like
Being unheard doesn’t always mean silence.
Sometimes it looks like:
- Being interrupted before finishing a thought
- Being spoken over “for clarity”
- Having your emotions misread
- Being told what you “must have meant”
- Or simply not being asked at all
Over time, that can make you feel like your voice doesn’t matter. But it does.
✍🏽 Why advocacy matters
Advocacy isn’t just speeches or awareness posts. It’s everyday actions:
- Listening without correcting
- Asking instead of assuming
- Making space instead of taking it
- Respecting communication differences
- Letting autistic people define their own experience
Real advocacy says: “Your voice is the authority on your life.”
✝️ My belief in this journey
For me, faith plays a role in how I see purpose.
I believe every voice—including autistic voices that have been ignored or misunderstood—has value. And I believe we’re not here to be explained by others, but to be understood as we are.
💬 Final thought
Advocating for autistic voices isn’t about speaking for us.
It’s about finally learning to listen to us.
Because when autistic people are heard, not just observed, everything changes.
Comments
Post a Comment