IEP At Iroquois Jr/Sr High School
I had an IEP which means individualized education program in high school—and for a long time, I didn’t know whether to feel supported or singled out.
Most people hear “IEP” and think help, accommodations, extra time.
And yeah… sometimes it did look like that.
I got extra time on tests.
And honestly, there were moments I needed it. Times where my brain just didn’t process things as fast as everyone else, or I needed a little more space to think things through without pressure.
But what people don’t understand is—it’s deeper than that.
Because while I’m sitting there with extra time, I’m also aware that I’m different.
That I’m being treated differently.
That people might be wondering why.
For me, having an IEP wasn’t just about getting help on assignments.
It was about how that help made me feel.
There were moments I appreciated it—like when that extra time actually helped me show what I knew instead of rushing and messing up.
But there were also moments where it felt like a spotlight.
Like I was being separated, even if that wasn’t the intention.
But as I got older, I started to realize something I wish I understood sooner:
There’s nothing wrong with having an IEP.
There’s nothing wrong with needing extra time.
There’s nothing wrong with learning differently.
There’s nothing wrong with getting support in a system that wasn’t built for you in the first place.
An IEP doesn’t mean you’re less smart.
It doesn’t mean you’re behind.
It doesn’t mean you won’t succeed.
If anything, it means you’re still showing up and doing what you need to do to grow—just in your own way.
I had to unlearn the idea that support meant weakness.
Because the truth is…
advocating for what you need?
Using the tools available to you?
Continuing to push forward even when things feel different?
That takes strength.
⁃ Daniel Gillespie
At Iroquois Jr. Sr. High School, I had an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Essentially, I had additional support classes that provided me with extra assistance on my assignments, homework, and any questions or concerns I might have. I believe that, regardless of whether someone is on the autism spectrum or not, everyone may require help at some point in their lives. A little encouragement can go a long way. There’s nothing wrong with learning differently from others. It doesn’t mean you’re less intelligent or inadequate. You’re simply built differently.
❤️🧩
⁃ David Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment