Boxes, Breakfast, and Being There
There’s something special about helping someone you care about step into a new chapter. It wasn’t just about moving boxes—it was about showing up for her, being present, and making memories in the middle of a busy day. What seemed like a simple move turned into something I’ll actually never forget.
🚚 Moving Day
Moving her into her new apartment for school was no joke. Up and down the stairs, back and forth to the car, trying to figure out how everything was going to fit—it was a workout for real. There were moments where we were all tired, a little sweaty, and probably questioning how she had that much stuff 😂.
Her parents came over and helped too, and honestly that made a big difference. It turned the whole thing into more of a team effort. Everybody was pitching in, carrying things, figuring stuff out together. It felt less stressful knowing it wasn’t just on us—we all had the same goal: getting her settled.
But at the same time, it felt good. Every box we carried in was progress. Every little thing we set up made the place feel more like hers. Watching her space come together made me proud of her. This wasn’t just moving—it was her building something new for herself, and I got to be part of that.
As someone with autism, days like this can be a lot for me. Changes in routine, the physical exhaustion, the constant movement, and even the noise can feel overwhelming. I like structure. I like knowing what’s coming next. And moving day is the complete opposite of that.
And having more people around added another layer to that. More conversations, more noise, more things happening at once. But at the same time, it also helped. It took some pressure off, and I didn’t have to carry everything—literally and mentally.
I just focused on doing my part, one step at a time, one box at a time. And having a clear purpose—helping her—helped me stay grounded through all of it.
🥞 Breakfast at Gem City Dinor
After all that work, we needed a break. So we went to Gem City Diner, and I’m not even gonna lie—food never tasted that good.
Sitting down felt like a reset. For me, that pause meant everything. When you’re autistic, constant activity without a break can be draining in a different way—not just physically, but mentally too. So being able to sit, breathe, and slow everything down helped me recharge.
Just being able to relax, eat, and look at each other like “we really just did all that” was a moment in itself. Good food, good conversation, and just peace for a second.
🛒 Target & Walmart Runs
Of course, the day wasn’t over yet. Because if you’ve ever moved, you already know—there’s always something you forgot.
So we made the classic runs to Target and Walmart. What was supposed to be “just a quick trip” turned into walking around grabbing everything from essentials to random stuff we didn’t even plan on getting.
I’ll be honest—stores like that can be overwhelming for me sometimes. The bright lights, the crowds, the noise, the constant decisions—it can be a lot to process all at once. But being with her made it easier. I wasn’t just in the environment—I had someone I cared about right there with me, which helped me stay calm and focused.
And somehow, even in a place that can feel overstimulating, we still found moments to laugh, joke, and enjoy each other’s company.
❤️ The Part That Matters
At the end of the day, it really wasn’t about the boxes, the breakfast, or the shopping.
It was about being there for her.
Being there while she starts something new. Being there during a moment that actually matters in her life. And even being there alongside her family, all of us coming together to support her—that meant something too.
Autism is a part of my life—it affects how I experience the world, how I process things, and how I handle days like this. But it doesn’t stop me from showing up for the people I love. If anything, it makes moments like this more meaningful, because I know the effort it takes.
Sometimes love isn’t loud or complicated. Sometimes it looks like teamwork, carrying boxes up the stairs even when you’re overwhelmed, taking breaks when you need them, making sure she eats after a long morning, and walking through a store together picking out the little things.
And honestly? I’d do it all over again.
Comments
Post a Comment