✍🏽 Living with Autism AND ADHD: The Battle You Don’t See

There’s a battle I fight every day that most people will never notice.

On the outside, it might look like I’m just distracted… or quiet… or inconsistent.

But on the inside?

It’s a constant push and pull.

Living with both autism and ADHD feels like having two different minds trying to control the same life.


One part of me craves structure.

Routine makes me feel safe. Predictability helps me function. I like knowing what’s coming next, how things are supposed to go, and where I fit in.

But then there’s the other side.

The ADHD.

The part of me that struggles to focus… forgets things… jumps from one thought to another… and sometimes can’t even follow the routine I know I need.

So imagine needing structure to survive…

…but struggling to stick to it.

That’s the battle people don’t see.


There are days where I can lock in completely.

Hours go by and I’m focused, productive, in my zone.

And then there are days where even the smallest things feel impossible.

Sending a text. Starting a task. Finishing something I already began.

It’s not laziness.

It’s not a lack of effort.

It’s a mind that works differently.


Growing up, a lot of this wasn’t understood.

Especially in the Black and Brown community.

What looked like distraction was labeled as not trying.

What felt like overwhelm was seen as attitude.

And what I was actually dealing with internally…

was never fully seen.


Autism affects how I process the world.

ADHD affects how I respond to it.

Put them together, and it can feel like I’m constantly trying to find balance in a mind that doesn’t slow down.

There’s sensory overload.

There’s mental overload.

And sometimes, there’s just exhaustion from trying to keep up with everything going on inside my head.


But here’s what I’ve learned.

I’m not broken.

My brain isn’t wrong.

It’s layered.

Complex.

Different.

And that difference comes with both challenges and strengths.


There’s creativity in how I think.

There’s depth in how I feel.

There’s resilience in how I keep going—even on the days when it’s hard to explain what I’m going through.


And through it all, one thing keeps me grounded:

God doesn’t make mistakes.

The way my mind works isn’t something I have to “fix.”

It’s something I’m learning to understand.

To grow with.

To work with instead of against.


So if you’re reading this and you feel like your mind is all over the place…

Like you’re trying your best but people don’t always see it…

Like you’re fighting a battle that no one talks about…

Just know this:

You’re not alone.

And you’re not broken.

You’re navigating something real.

And your story matters.

- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther