From Nonverbal to Finding My Voice

Not everyone starts their story the same way.

I was born at 30 weeks, weighing 6 pounds, 8 ounces, and spent my first two weeks in the NICU because of feeding issues. From the very beginning, my journey looked different—even if people couldn’t fully see it yet.

As I grew up, one of the biggest challenges I faced was communication.

I was nonverbal until the age of three.

For most people, talking is something that just happens. But for me, it didn’t come easy. There were thoughts, feelings, and reactions inside me that I couldn’t express out loud. Imagine having a voice in your mind but not being able to let the world hear it.

That was my reality.


Learning the World Without Words

Before I could speak, I learned by watching.

I paid attention to everything—how people moved, how they reacted, the tone in their voices, the energy in a room. Being on the autism spectrum, observation became my first language.

Even now, I still carry that with me.

It’s why I notice small details.
It’s why I can read a room.
It’s why I sometimes understand things without needing them explained.

But back then, it also meant I was often misunderstood.

People might have thought I wasn’t paying attention or didn’t understand—but in reality, I was taking everything in.


Finding My Voice

When I finally started speaking around age three, it wasn’t just about words—it was about connection.

It was about finally being able to express what had been building up inside me for so long.

But even after I found my voice, the journey didn’t just become easy.

I wasn’t fully toilet trained until age five. Milestones came at a different pace for me. And growing up, there were still moments where communication felt challenging—where I had to think harder, process longer, and navigate things differently than others.

And that’s something people don’t always see.

They see where you are now, but not what it took to get there.


Where I Am Today

Today, I use my voice in ways younger me couldn’t have imagined.

I write.
I express myself.
I tell my story.

And every time I do, it means something—because I know what it felt like not to have that ability.

Being autistic isn’t just about challenges—it’s also about perspective.

My journey taught me patience.
It taught me awareness.
It taught me how to see the world differently.


The Bigger Message

If there’s one thing I want people to understand, it’s this:

Just because someone isn’t speaking, doesn’t mean they don’t have a voice.

Sometimes, that voice is just waiting to be heard in a different way, at a different time.

And when it finally comes out—it’s powerful.


Closing

My story didn’t start with words.

But now that I have them, I’m going to use them.

- Daniel Gillespie 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther