⚾ A Day at the Ballpark & A First-Time Cane’s Experience

Spending the day at a Pittsburgh Pirates game at PNC Park was already something to look forward to—but celebrating Smol’s birthday with my girlfriend’s family made it even more meaningful.


For me, moments like this come with a mix of excitement and challenge. Being on the autism spectrum, environments like a baseball stadium can be a lot to take in. The noise, the crowds, the constant movement—it all hits at once. There was a time where something like this could’ve easily overwhelmed me.


But this experience felt different.


A big part of that was the people I was with. When you’re around the right energy, it makes situations that might normally feel uncomfortable a lot easier to handle. Instead of focusing on everything going on around me, I was able to stay present—watching the game, talking, laughing, and just enjoying the moment for what it was.


Even the pace of baseball helped. It’s not nonstop action—it comes in waves. That gave me time to mentally reset between plays, which made the whole experience feel more manageable and actually enjoyable instead of overwhelming.


After the game, we kept the day going by going to Raising Cane’s, and it was my first time trying it.


Trying new places isn’t always easy for me. New settings, different smells, unfamiliar menus—it can feel like a lot all at once. Sometimes it’s easier to stick to what I already know. But this time, I decided to step out of that comfort zone.


I kept it simple—chicken sandwich, fries, and the Cane’s sauce—and honestly, it lived up to the hype. But more than the food, it was the feeling of being comfortable in a new environment that stood out to me.


Sitting there with everyone, joking around and just enjoying the moment, it didn’t feel like I was doing something “new” or “challenging.” It just felt natural.


Days like this remind me that growth doesn’t always look big or dramatic. Sometimes it’s being able to handle a crowded stadium better than before. Sometimes it’s trying something new without overthinking it.


Being autistic doesn’t mean missing out on experiences like these—it just means experiencing them in a different way.


And on this day, everything came together in a way that felt right. It wasn’t just about the game or the food—it was about connection, comfort, and realizing how far I’ve come.


That’s what made it unforgettable.


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther