✍🏽 Ableism in Black Communities: A Conversation We Need to Have
There’s a conversation we don’t always have out loud in Black communities—and that’s about disability.
Not because we don’t care.
Not because we’re trying to harm each other.
But because for a long time, survival came first—and anything that didn’t fit into that mindset got misunderstood.
This is where ableism quietly shows up.
🧠 What Is Ableism?
Ableism is when people with disabilities are misunderstood, judged, or treated unfairly because of how their brain or body works.
That includes autism.
That includes mental health.
That includes anything that makes someone move through the world differently.
And sometimes, it shows up in our own communities.
💭 What It Can Look Like
Ableism in Black communities doesn’t always look like hate.
Sometimes it looks like love that just doesn’t understand.
It can sound like:
- “You just need to pray about it.”
- “Ain’t nothing wrong with you.”
- “Stop acting like that.”
- “You’re too smart to have something like that.”
Or it can look like:
- Getting punished for behaviors you couldn’t control
- Being called “disrespectful” when you’re overwhelmed
- Not being diagnosed because nobody wants to put a label on you
For a lot of us, especially autistic individuals, we grew up not knowing why we were different—just knowing we had to hide it.
🧩 My Perspective
As someone on the spectrum, I’ve felt this in real ways.
There were moments where I wasn’t being “difficult”—I was overwhelmed.
Moments where I wasn’t being “quiet”—I just didn’t have the words yet.
Moments where I needed understanding—but got correction instead.
And I know I’m not the only one.
📚 Why This Happens
We can’t talk about this without talking about history.
In Black communities:
- Mental health hasn’t always been talked about openly
- There’s a deep-rooted mistrust of medical systems
- Strength and resilience are heavily emphasized
- Access to diagnosis and support hasn’t always been equal
So instead of support, many of us were taught to “push through.”
And while that strength is powerful—it can also silence real needs.
🌱 What Needs to Change
This isn’t about pointing fingers.
It’s about growing.
We need:
- More conversations about autism and mental health
- More listening and less judging
- More support instead of punishment
- More representation of Black disabled voices
We need to understand that different doesn’t mean broken.
💬 Final Thoughts
Ableism in Black communities is real—but so is the love, the growth, and the willingness to do better.
We come from strength.
Now it’s time to add understanding to that strength.
Because everybody deserves to feel seen—not just the parts of them that fit in.
- Daniel Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment