🧩 Job Interviews While Autistic

Job interviews are stressful for almost everyone. But when you’re autistic—especially as a Black or Brown individual—it can feel like you’re being tested on things that have nothing to do with your actual ability to do the job.

It’s not just about your skills. It’s about eye contact. Tone. Body language. Small talk. Things that sometimes don’t always come naturally to me.

And that’s where it gets complicated.


🎭 The Pressure to “Perform”

When I walk into an interview, I already know I’m being judged within the first few seconds. Not just on what I say—but how I say it.

Am I making enough eye contact?
Am I smiling enough?
Do I sound “confident” or “too quiet”?

For me, that pressure can feel like acting. Like I have to mask parts of myself just to fit into what they think a “good candidate” looks like.

But masking is exhausting.

By the time the interview is over, I’m not just mentally tired—I’m drained.


🧠 Processing on the Spot

Another challenge is processing questions in real time.

Sometimes interviewers ask open-ended questions like:
“Tell me about yourself” or
“Describe a time you handled conflict.”

My brain doesn’t always organize answers that quickly. I might need a second. Or a few seconds. But silence in an interview can feel awkward—even though I’m just trying to give a thoughtful answer.

It’s not that I don’t know what to say.
It’s that my mind works differently when it comes to timing.


🤝 Misunderstood, Not Unqualified

One of the hardest parts is knowing I could be a great employee—but not getting the chance because of how I come across in a 15–30 minute conversation.

Being autistic doesn’t mean I lack work ethic.
It doesn’t mean I’m not capable.
It doesn’t mean I won’t show up and do my job well.

It just means I communicate differently.

And sometimes, that difference gets misunderstood.


🌍 Being Black and Autistic in the Workplace

Now add race into the mix.

As a Black man, there are already stereotypes and expectations placed on how I should speak, act, and present myself. When you combine that with autism, it can feel like I’m navigating two different sets of pressures at once.

Too quiet? I’m seen as disengaged.
Too direct? I’m seen as aggressive.

There’s not always room to just be.


💡 What Actually Helps

Over time, I’ve learned a few things that help me navigate interviews better:

  • Practicing common questions ahead of time
  • Taking a breath before answering (even if it feels awkward)
  • Reminding myself that I deserve to be there
  • Focusing on my strengths, not just my struggles

And most importantly—understanding that one interview doesn’t define my worth.


🗣️ Final Thoughts

Job interviews shouldn’t only reward people who are good at performing socially.

They should also recognize people who are thoughtful, hardworking, and capable—even if they communicate differently.

Because at the end of the day, being autistic doesn’t make me less qualified.

It just means you might have to listen a little differently to hear what I bring to the table.

- Daniel Gillespie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther