Easter at Grandma’s House
Every Easter Sunday, my family and I go to my grandma’s house for dinner. It’s a tradition we’ve kept for as long as I can remember. Growing up on the autism spectrum, moments like these weren’t always easy—but they were always important.
Being around a lot of people at once can feel overwhelming at times—the noise, the movement, all the conversations happening at once. But at my grandma’s house, it feels different. It feels safe. It feels like love. Even in the middle of all the chaos, I know I belong there.
When we arrived, we sat down for a little while, taking in the moment. Soon after, I helped carry food downstairs as everyone got ready to eat. It might seem like a small thing, but being able to help, to be part of everything, means a lot to me.
My cousin DaMaris played the piano, and the music filled the house in a way that brought a calm over everything. Then my Uncle Buddy joined us and said a prayer and we stood in a circle as he said a prayer. In that moment, hand in hand, heads bowed, I felt connected—not just to my family, but to something bigger than myself.
Dinner was everything you’d expect from a holiday filled with love—ham, mac and cheese, dressing with gravy, sweet potatoes, sweet potato salad, and bread rolls. But for me, it was never just about the food.
It was about the feeling.
The laughter. The conversations. The sense of being surrounded by people who know me, accept me, and love me for who I am.
Growing up, I learned that even though I experience the world a little differently, moments like this remind me that I’m never alone. These are the memories that stay with me—the ones that remind me that family, tradition, and love will always have a place in my life.
- Daniel Gillespie
Every Holiday even on Easter Sunday
Is very special to us
Because we get to spend time together
With our family
And we go to our Grandmas house
To spend time and have a blessed meal
Together that is prepared and prayed over
This time we got to meet some new people
That we were introduced by our cousins
And they were very friendly to everyone
And we welcomed them like they were family
Easter Dinner was everything you’d expect
Ham, Mac & Cheese, Dressing, & Yams
The love, laughter, comfort
And conversations that we shared
With each other makes it a special moment
For a Holiday
- David Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment