April is Autism Awareness Month

April is known as Autism Awareness Month.


But for me, autism isn’t just something to be “aware” of for 30 days. It’s my everyday life. It’s how I think, how I feel, how I experience the world.


Awareness is important—but we’ve reached a point where people know autism exists.


Now it’s time for something deeper:

Understanding. Acceptance. And real support.


Growing up, my journey with autism wasn’t always easy. There were challenges people didn’t always see—communication struggles, sensory overload, feeling misunderstood. Moments where I felt different… and not always in a good way.


But autism is also part of my strength.


It’s in my creativity.

It’s in how deeply I think.

It’s in how passionate I am about the things I care about.


Autism didn’t limit me—it shaped me into who I am as a person. 


And the truth is, everyone’s experience with autism is different. For some, it’s empowering. For others, it comes with heavy challenges, especially without the right support system.


That’s why awareness alone isn’t enough.


We need:

• People who listen instead of assume

• Support systems that actually support

• Spaces where autistic individuals can be themselves without judgment


This month, I’m not just asking you to be aware of autism.


I’m asking you to:

Learn about it.

Respect it.

Support people living it.


Because autism isn’t a trend, a moment, or a label.


It’s real life.


And for me, it’s a part of my story.


🧩


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther