“To Each Their Own”: The Reality of Autism

I recently commented, “Being autistic is awesome!”—and I meant it.


For me, autism is a part of my identity that has shaped how I see the world, how I think, and how I connect with others. It’s given me creativity, deep focus, and a unique perspective that I wouldn’t trade.


But someone replied to me and said, “To each their own, it can be very difficult especially without proper support.”


And honestly… they’re not wrong.


That moment made me stop and think.


Autism can be awesome—but it can also be incredibly hard.


There are people on the spectrum who struggle daily with communication, sensory overload, misunderstanding from others, and lack of support systems. Some don’t have access to the resources, community, or encouragement that can make a huge difference. And when support is missing, autism can feel less like a strength and more like a constant challenge.


For me, I’ve experienced both sides.


I’ve had moments where I felt different, misunderstood, or behind. Times where things that seemed “easy” for others felt overwhelming to me. But I’ve also grown into someone who embraces those differences and turns them into purpose.


That’s why I say autism is awesome—not because it’s always easy, but because it’s mine. It’s part of my journey, my growth, and my story.


At the same time, I respect that not everyone feels that way.


Autism is not a one-size-fits-all experience.  

It’s a spectrum.  

And every story on that spectrum matters.


So instead of arguing which view is right, maybe the truth is this:


Both can exist at the same time.


Autism can be beautiful and difficult.  

Empowering and exhausting.  

A strength and a struggle.


And what makes the biggest difference?


Support. Understanding. Acceptance.


Because when those are present, more people can start to see the “awesome” side too.


That’s the conversation we need to keep having.


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther