Seeing the World Differently: Being a Visual Learner and Hands-On Learner with Autism

When people think about learning, they usually think about reading books or listening to someone explain something. But for me, learning has always looked a little different.


As someone with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I’ve realized that I’m a visual learner. That means I understand things best when I can see them. My brain processes images, scenes, and details in a way that helps me remember things clearly.


Sometimes it feels like my mind works like a movie screen. When I think about a memory, I don’t just remember the idea of it—I can almost see the moment again. I remember where I was, what things looked like, and even small details other people might not notice.


Growing up, I didn’t always realize this was a strength. In school, learning was often based on lectures or long explanations. But when teachers used pictures, demonstrations, or showed how something worked, it suddenly made a lot more sense to me.


Being a visual learner has shaped the way I experience the world. It’s one reason I enjoy writing and storytelling. When I write, I often picture the scene in my mind first, almost like I’m watching it happen.


Autism is often talked about in terms of challenges, but there are also different ways of thinking that can be powerful strengths. Visual thinking is one of them.


For many autistic people, the world isn’t just something we hear or read about—it’s something we see in vivid detail.


And sometimes, seeing the world differently can help us understand it in a deeper way.


  • Daniel Gillespie 




As for me I’m more of a Hands-on learner 


Than a visual learner 


I like to work with my hands 


And be focused on certain tasks


Without any distractions 


Sometimes I can get distracted by things 


And I’m not really good at multitasking 


Or listening to two people at once 


As someone who has been diagnosed with 


ADHD as being on the spectrum 


There are certain medications 


That helps with it


And now


My focus has been getting better 


Than it was a few years ago 


As well as my mental health 


And my confidence 


And i also have some fidget toys 


If I needed something to play with 


For leisure 


For example 


When I was working at EUMA 


I was doing deliveries on the truck 


With donations from the thrift store 


Moving furniture and accessories 


and hanging up clothes 


And putting them on display 


As well as when I got back from the building 


I go back to my office 


And work on the computer doing data entry 


And sometimes I’ll vacuum the building 


Or do sum yard work outside 


With my co-workers 


While doing these tasks 


They allowed me 


To have my headphones on for music 


As long as I was able to communicate 


With my coworkers and that it wasn’t 


A distraction 


But it wasn’t a distraction 


It was more so of white noise 


Blocking the outside world 


Helping me staying focused 


While doing my tasks 


Still keeping a smile on my face 



  • David Gillespie 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther