🍀 Fake Patty’s in Ohio: Chaos, Laughter, and Finding My Rhythm
Fake Patty’s Day in Ohio is a different kind of crazy. Bars packed shoulder to shoulder, green everywhere, music blasting so loud you can feel it in your chest—it’s not just a party, it’s a full-on sensory experience.
For me, being autistic, moments like this can go either way. The noise, the lights, people bumping into you—it can get overwhelming fast. At times, it felt like everything was happening all at once. Conversations overlapping, music fighting to be heard, bodies constantly moving. It’s the kind of environment where your brain is trying to process everything at once.
But in the middle of all that chaos, something shifted.
We ran into Delaney’s friend Khayla, who ended up joining us at the bar while her fiancĂ© Kaerus stayed back. She was telling funny stories that had everyone laughing, and I found myself locking into that moment—focusing on her voice, her energy, and the conversation instead of everything else going on around me.
That’s something I’ve learned about myself—I might not be able to control the environment, but I can find a focus point within it. And that night, that focus helped me settle into the moment instead of feeling overwhelmed by it.
Later on, when we got back to their place for the party, everything slowed down. The loud music and crowded space turned into a more relaxed setting. That’s when both Khayla and Kaerus really started talking with us, telling more stories—funny, real, and easy to connect with.
In that quieter space, it felt different. Easier. More natural. I didn’t have to filter through noise or distractions—I could just be present, listen, and engage.
Moments like that remind me that being autistic doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy social situations—it just means the environment matters. The right setting, the right people, and the right energy can make all the difference.
By the end of the night, Fake Patty’s wasn’t just about the chaos of the bars—it was about balance. The loud moments, the quiet ones, and the connections that came from both. And in the end Delaney’s laugh made me focus on those funny stories and engage a bit more.
Comments
Post a Comment