Why American Football Is My Passion — Autism and the Game I Love

 American football isn’t just a sport for me — it’s a part of who I am. The strategies, the physicality, the teamwork, the energy — it all lights up something inside me that other things just don’t. For a lot of people with autism, interests can feel deep and meaningful, and for me, football is one of those interests that feels like more than a hobby — it’s my passion.


💡 What Football Feels Like to Me


Football gives me a sense of focus and connection that I don’t always get in other parts of life. Watching a game, playing catch, or even thinking about plays can tap into that intense focus many autistic people experience. That deep engagement — sometimes called special interest — helps me feel grounded, excited, and ready to learn more.  


Here’s what American football brings to my world:


🏈 A Structured, Logical Game


American football is full of rules, defined roles, and clear goals. There’s logic and rhythm to it — something that appeals to how my brain likes to organize information and patterns. This structure helps me enjoy the sport even more than just watching it; it feels satisfying and predictable in a world that often isn’t.


🤝 A Way to Connect with Others


Watching football gives me something in common with people. When I talk about football, I’m not just discussing a sport — I’m sharing something meaningful about myself.


🧠 How Football Helps Me Grow


Research shows that football and other team sports can be really beneficial for people with autism — not just physically but socially and emotionally too:

• Participating in football programs has been linked with improvements in social skills and interactions, especially when kids work together in practice and games.  

• Team sport involvement often supports confidence, social communication, and cooperation — things that can transfer into other parts of life beyond sport.  

• Structured physical activities like football can also help with motor skills, coordination, and attention, which can make everyday tasks feel easier or more manageable.  


These aren’t just abstract benefits — they’re real ways that football can support someone like me in developing new skills while still being fun.


🌟 Being Autistic Doesn’t Limit My Love — It Shapes It


Some people with autism find their passions become a deep source of joy. That’s definitely true for football and me. I don’t just like football — I feel football. Whether it’s memorizing formations, rewatching big plays, or thinking about how a quarterback reads a defense, football gives me a space where my mind can thrive.


And I’m not alone — other people with autism have written about how football became something they loved and even helped them feel understood or accepted.  


🏆 What Football Has Taught Me


American football has given me more than just a sport to follow — it’s given me:

• A sense of identity

• A community to be part of

• A way to connect with others on something meaningful


Football isn’t just a game to me — it’s my passion, my focus, and a place where I feel understood and excited.


🗣️ Final Thought


I love football not just because of the touchdowns or the tackles — but because it fits with who I am. It helps me focus, connect, and express myself in ways nothing else does. For me, football is more than a sport — it’s a part of my life that makes sense, brings me joy, and gives me something to share with the world.


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther