🎧 Why My Earbuds Are My Safe Space

If you ever see me walking around—at the store, at work, hanging out with friends, or even standing in line somewhere—you’ll probably notice one thing right away: I almost always have earbuds in. Not because I’m trying to block the world out, but because the world sometimes feels like it’s trying to swallow me whole.


Growing up, I couldn’t explain it.

The world was full of sounds that everyone else seemed to tolerate without a second thought. Laughter that turned into shouting. Music blasting from a car at a red light. Kids screaming. Forks scraping plates. Fans, phones, conversations, printers, traffic, someone chewing with their mouth open. Life was always loud, and I was always expected to just deal with it.


But my body didn’t deal with it the way other people’s did.

It reacted.

My heart sped up.

My skin crawled.

My brain froze or exploded.

Sometimes I wanted to cry.

Sometimes I wanted to disappear.


Before I knew what sensory overload was, I thought something was wrong with me.

Now I know: my brain processes the world differently.

And earbuds became my bridge between my brain and the world around me.


🎶 More Than Music


People assume earbuds are only for music—and yes, music saves lives. But sometimes it’s:

• Brown noise

• A calming playlist

• A podcast where the host talks softly

• Rain sounds

• Or nothing at all — just the pressure in my ears that tells my nervous system “you’re safe”


Some days, I don’t even play audio.

Just having earbuds in is enough to help me feel grounded—like a sensory hug.


👀 The Unspoken Message


Earbuds do something else for me that’s just as important:

They silently express boundaries that I don’t always have the energy or social skills to explain.


Earbuds say:

• I’m not ready for small talk.

• Please don’t suddenly startle me with noise.

• I need a moment to be in my own world.

• I care about my peace right now.


For autistic folks—especially autistic people of color who already feel misunderstood or judged—we don’t always get the space to explain ourselves. Earbuds give us a shortcut to autonomy.


😬 The Stigma


There’s still pushback, especially from older generations:

• “It’s rude.”

• “Take those out and socialize.”

• “You’re not paying attention.”

• “You look disrespectful.”


But nobody says that when someone with sensory issues wears sunglasses inside.

No one argues when a person puts on a hoodie for comfort.

Earbuds are the same thing—just support for a different sense.


And in Black and Brown communities where mental health and neurodiversity are still fighting for visibility, having something that helps us cope shouldn’t require a debate.


🧩 One Ear In, One Ear Out


If you’re autistic, you understand: silence isn’t always the goal.

Sometimes we need:

• half the world blocked out

• half the world still reachable


That balance lets us exist without shutting down or floating away.


💔 The Panic Is Real


Ask any autistic person:

There is no worse moment than leaving the house and realizing—too late—you forgot your earbuds.

You feel exposed.

Naked.

Unguarded.


You try to survive raw sound until you get home, hoping nothing pushes you into meltdown or shutdown territory.


Meanwhile neurotypicals are like:

“It’s not that serious.”


But it is.


🌱 Thriving With Support


Earbuds don’t replace therapy.

They don’t cure autism.

They’re not a magic fix.


But they turn a world full of buzzing, yelling, clanging intensity into something we can show up in—calmly, confidently, and without apologizing for the way our brains work.


Earbuds help me participate in my life instead of running from it.


So yeah, I wear them everywhere.

Sometimes with music.

Sometimes in silence.

Sometimes proudly.

Sometimes anxiously.

Always intentionally.


Because in a world that isn’t built for neurodiverse brains—

We learn to build our own shelter.


Mine just happens to fit in my pocket.


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther