Why I Don’t Dry Off Right Away— and Why That’s Okay

After I shower, I don’t always dry off right away.

Not because towels bother me.

Not because of texture.


It’s just… easier.


Autism doesn’t always show up as discomfort. Sometimes it shows up as choosing the path with the least friction. One less step. One less demand. One less thing asking for energy.


Drying off feels like an extra task when I’m already transitioning from one state to another. Letting my body air-dry gives me a pause. A reset. A moment where I don’t have to do anything else.


The Energy Math


Autism often comes with invisible math:

• How much energy does this take?

• Is this step necessary right now?

• Can I simplify this?


Air-drying answers all three.


No rush.

No added step.

No pressure to move faster than my body wants to.


When People Read Into It


People love to attach meaning:

• “That’s lazy.”

• “Just grab a towel.”

• “That’s not how you’re supposed to do it.”


But not everything needs a deeper explanation. Sometimes the reason is simply: this works better for me.


Autonomy Still Matters


Even when it’s not sensory, it’s still autism.

It’s still about honoring how your brain moves through the world.


Especially in Black and Brown spaces where efficiency and “doing things the right way” are emphasized, choosing ease can feel like rebellion.


But ease isn’t wrong.

It’s self-awareness.


Autism Is Also This


Autism is also:

• Doing things the simplest way possible

• Not adding steps just because others expect them

• Letting “good enough” be enough


Sometimes it’s not about discomfort.

It’s about clarity.


And that counts too.


- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther