When My Mind Gets Too Loud: The Truth About Autistic Meltdowns

 Let’s talk about something people don’t understand.


Meltdowns.


Not tantrums.

Not “bad behavior.”

Not attitude.


Meltdowns are what happen when my brain gets overloaded and can’t take anymore.


And if you’ve never experienced one, it’s hard to explain how intense they really are.


What a Meltdown Really Feels Like


A meltdown doesn’t start out of nowhere.


It builds.


It starts with:


Too much noise.

Too many people.

Too many thoughts.

Too many expectations.

Too much pressure.


Everything stacks up.


My heart starts racing.

My head feels heavy.

My body feels tense.

My thoughts get tangled.


It’s like having 50 tabs open in your brain… and none of them will close.


And then—boom.


Everything spills out.


It’s Not a Choice


Here’s what hurts the most:


People think I choose to meltdown.


They think I’m being dramatic.

Disrespectful.

Immature.

Difficult.


But if I could stop it, I would.


No one wants to feel out of control.

No one wants to cry, shut down, panic, or feel embarrassed in public.


A meltdown is my nervous system saying:


“I’m done.”

“I’m overwhelmed.”

“I need help.”


Being Brown and Melting Down in Public


Let’s be real.


As a Black/Brown autistic person, meltdowns can feel dangerous.


If I get overwhelmed in public, I have to think:


Will people think I’m aggressive?

Will they call security?

Will they misunderstand me?

Will they judge me?


I don’t always get the benefit of the doubt.


So sometimes, I hold everything in.


I mask.

I suppress.

I suffer silently.


And that makes things worse.


What Triggers My Meltdowns


Everyone is different, but for me, meltdowns can come from:


• Loud environments

• Sudden changes

• Being rushed

• Feeling misunderstood

• Sensory overload

• Emotional stress

• Lack of rest


Sometimes, it’s not one big thing.


It’s a hundred small things piling up.


What Helps Me Regulate


Over time, I’ve learned some ways to protect my peace:


✔ Taking breaks before I’m overwhelmed

✔ Stepping away from noisy spaces

✔ Listening to calming music

✔ Praying and grounding myself

✔ Being honest when I need space

✔ Not apologizing for self-care


Regulation is not weakness.

It’s wisdom.


What I Wish People Knew


I wish people understood that meltdowns are:


Not manipulation

Not attention-seeking

Not disrespect


They are communication.


They’re my body saying what my mouth can’t in that moment.


Instead of judging, ask:


“How can I help?”

“Do you need space?”

“Are you okay?”


That can change everything.


To Anyone Who’s Ever Felt Ashamed


If you’ve ever felt embarrassed after a meltdown…

If you’ve ever blamed yourself…

If you’ve ever felt broken…


You’re not.


You’re human.

You’re autistic.

You’re doing your best.


Healing is learning.

Growth is progress.

Grace is necessary.


Why I Share This


I write about meltdowns because silence creates stigma.


And stigma hurts people like us.


Brown Side of Autism exists to bring truth to light.


So young people don’t grow up thinking they’re “too much.”

So parents understand better.

So teachers respond better.

So communities do better.


Still Standing


Yes, I’ve had meltdowns.


But I’ve also had victories.

Breakthroughs.

Growth.

Purpose.


My meltdowns don’t define me.


My resilience does.


And if you’re reading this and nodding your head…


You’re not alone.


We’re in this together.



- Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther