Our Favorite Safe Foods

 MY FAVORITE SAFE FOODS


My favorite safe foods


That I grew up eating with my brothers 


Were different than any other child 


That are not on the spectrum 


That doesn’t mean that I’m picky


It means I like different foods 


That are comfortable for me to eat


That concludes in my everyday routine 


I grew up eating chicken nuggets, pizza,

rice, hotdogs, chicken, pasta, breakfast foods, (like cereal, pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, oatmeal or toast)


Basically anything and that if it’s something 

That I don’t like or want 

I’m very much vocal about it

And my mom is accepting of it


The only things that I don’t like is


Watermelon, Gravy, Cantaloupe, Honey Dew, Hummus, Pickles, Black Olives,

Dried Fruit Nuts, Potato Salad, Avocados and Sauerkraut

(And as much as I’ll eat 

Potato Salad it’ll do in a pinch)


(There’s probably more than one 

But that’s all I can think of right now)


It’s mostly the textures and how it tastes 

In my mouth and if I don’t like it 

It’s not my cup of tea 


  • David Gillespie


I grew up eating many of the same safe foods as David.

That shared experience matters more than people might realize.


Even though we’re different in our own ways,

food was one of those constants—

the same familiar meals,

the same go-to options

that felt safe and predictable.


Those foods weren’t just about taste.

They were about comfort, routine,

and knowing what to expect at the table.


Eating the same foods helped create a sense of balance.

It was one less thing to explain.

One less thing to feel different about.


Looking back, it makes sense.

When you grow up in the same household,

with the same routines and understanding,

safe foods become shared experiences and not just individual preferences.

They were familiar, dependable,

and always there when we needed them.


For me, it’s less about having a set list

and more about noticing what I naturally reach for—

the foods that don’t require extra thought,

the ones that don’t overwhelm my senses.


When I really think about it,

tuna is one of them.

Rice and beans, too.

Pepperoni pizza has always been there.


They’re familiar.

They’re consistent.

I know what to expect when I eat them.


I don’t have to prepare myself mentally.

I don’t have to push past textures or flavors.

They don’t interrupt my routine or cause stress.


They’re foods I can eat on a good day

and on a hard day.

Foods that feel safe—not because they’re “plain,”

but because they work for me.


And that’s really what a safe food is,

at least in my experience.


  • Daniel Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther