Our Comfort Shows We Like To Watch

Everyone has a comfort show. For me, that comfort comes in the form of Law & Order—especially Law & Order: SVU. While some people see these shows as just crime dramas, for me they offer structure, familiarity, and a sense of order that helps my autistic brain feel grounded.


One of the biggest reasons I gravitate toward Law & Order is its predictability. Every episode follows a similar format: a crime occurs, the investigation unfolds, and the case is taken to court. Knowing what to expect helps reduce anxiety and allows me to focus on the story without feeling overwhelmed. In a world that often feels unpredictable and overstimulating, that kind of consistency is comforting.


SVU takes that same familiar structure and adds another layer—empathy. The show centers victims and gives voice to people who are often ignored or not believed. As someone who is autistic, I understand what it feels like to be misunderstood or spoken over. Watching stories where voices matter and justice is pursued resonates deeply with me.


Another thing I appreciate about these shows is the focus on dialogue rather than chaos. There aren’t constant jump cuts, overwhelming music, or sensory overload. Instead, the episodes rely on conversations, facts, and reasoning. That makes it easier for me to process what’s happening and stay engaged without feeling drained.


Rewatching episodes is also a big part of the comfort. For autistic people, rewatching isn’t about boredom—it’s about regulation. Familiar episodes help me relax, especially during stressful moments or late nights when my mind won’t slow down. Knowing how the story ends gives me a sense of control and calm.


Over time, the characters themselves become familiar too. Seeing the same faces, personalities, and dynamics episode after episode creates a sense of connection. That consistency matters. It makes the shows feel like a safe, familiar space rather than something new I have to mentally prepare for.


For me, Law & Order and SVU aren’t just TV shows. They represent structure in chaos, fairness in uncertainty, and comfort in familiarity. They remind me that even in difficult stories, order can exist and voices can be heard—and sometimes, that’s exactly what my autistic brain needs.


- Daniel Gillespie 



Why Naruto is my favorite Comfort Show



One of my favorite shows/anime 


In my childhood 


That I grew up watching was Naruto


And it definitely reflected my life 


In many ways 


It taught me how much it takes 


To become a successful leader 


If you want to achieve success 


And have reconigition 


There will be plenty obstacles 


In your path 


And you will have to overcome 


Those barriers 


Through resilience 


And overcome social isolation 


As the show also focuses on 


Perseverance, Friendship, and Isolation 


Symbolizing the ability 


To change a person’s destiny 


Through hard work and dedication 


And forming meaningful bonds 


That was Naruto’s Story 


His dream was to become the Hokage


The leader of his village 


The protecter of his people 


As someone who is Autistic 


It’s one of my favorite shows 


I like to rewatch sometimes 


But I also have other shows/favorites


That I’ve watched during the pandemic 


That are such as:


No Guns Life


Psycho Pass


Red Garden


Arifureta


Naruto


Pokemon 


Dragon Ball Z


Ranking of Kings


Yugi-Oh


Bakugan 


Power rangers 


YuYu Hakusho


Attack on Titan


Haikyu!



It’s definitely a longer list than this 


But I kept it short and sweet 


I definitely find new shows/anime’s


That I discover and there’s some 


That I don’t like 


But these are my comfort shows


- David Gillespie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther