Having Faith While Being Autistic
Faith hasn’t always been easy for me as an autistic person. My mind doesn’t slow down on command. My thoughts loop. My senses pick up on things other people don’t even notice. And sometimes, when life feels loud or uncertain, trusting God feels harder than it sounds.
But faith is still where I’ve found grounding, patience, and purpose — even when my autism makes the journey feel different.
Faith Through an Autistic Lens
For me, faith isn’t always quiet or calm. It doesn’t always look like stillness or peace. Sometimes it looks like praying while overstimulated. Sometimes it looks like believing even while overthinking. My autism affects how I process emotions, change, uncertainty, and stress — and that absolutely spills into my faith.
I crave structure and predictability, yet life doesn’t always offer that. Neither does God’s timing. Learning to trust when routines change or when answers don’t come immediately has been one of my biggest challenges.
When Autism Challenges My Faith
There have been moments when I felt disconnected in church spaces. Moments when I questioned why faith-based environments didn’t always feel accommodating or understanding of neurodivergent needs. Moments when burnout made prayer feel exhausting instead of refreshing.
There were times I wondered if my struggles meant my faith was weak. If my doubts meant I wasn’t doing enough. If my autism somehow made it harder for God to reach me.
But over time, I realized something important: struggling doesn’t mean failing. Questioning doesn’t mean disbelief.
How Faith Meets Me Where I Am
One of the most powerful things I’ve learned is that God meets me exactly where I am — not where I think I should be. God knows my limits. He understands my sensory overload, my exhaustion, my need for recovery. He doesn’t expect perfection or constant strength.
During burnout, faith has looked like resting without guilt. During shutdowns, it has looked like silent prayers when words felt like too much. During uncertainty, it has looked like trusting even when I didn’t understand the plan.
Trusting the Process
“Trust the process” sounds simple — until you’re autistic and your brain wants clarity, timelines, and guarantees. Letting go of “why me?” hasn’t been easy. Neither has waiting.
But faith has taught me endurance. It’s taught me that trusting God doesn’t mean I won’t struggle — it means I won’t struggle alone. It’s helped me learn patience with myself, especially on days when my mind feels overloaded and my heart feels tired.
What I Want Others to Understand
Faith does not cure autism. And autism does not weaken faith.
My neurodivergence doesn’t distance me from God — it shapes how I experience Him. My sensitivity, depth of feeling, and intense reflection are not flaws. They are part of how I connect, how I believe, and how I grow.
I process the world differently, but that doesn’t mean I’m broken.
Closing Reflection
I may never experience faith the way others do — and that’s okay. Autism didn’t take my faith away. If anything, it deepened it. It taught me compassion, patience, and the importance of trusting God even when my mind won’t slow down.
Faith hasn’t removed my struggles, but it has reminded me that I am seen, understood, and supported — exactly as I am.
- Daniel Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment