When Stimming Turns into Cleaning: Finding Calm Through Routine
When Stimming Turns into Cleaning: Finding Calm Through Routine
For me, stimming doesn’t always look like what people expect. It’s not just rocking or flapping my hands — sometimes, it’s picking things up, organizing my room, or wiping down every surface until it feels right. When my mind starts racing or I feel overstimulated, cleaning becomes my way of calming down. It’s how I reset, refocus, and feel in control again.
Some people see it as just tidying up, but for me, it’s more than that — it’s a form of peace. A rhythm that brings order not only to my space, but to my thoughts. Every motion — every wipe, every fold, every bit of organization — becomes its own quiet language of comfort.
There’s something soothing about repetition — the sound of running water, the smell of cleaning spray, the sight of everything falling into place. It’s almost like therapy in motion. When the world feels too loud or unpredictable, cleaning gives me something predictable. It’s my way of grounding myself when I can’t find the words or when everything around me feels too heavy.
People sometimes think stimming needs to “look” a certain way, but it doesn’t. For some of us, it’s about finding safety in the familiar — the comfort of doing something that makes sense when everything else doesn’t. Cleaning may seem simple, but to me, it’s a way of saying: I’m okay. I’ve got this.
Because sometimes, peace isn’t found in silence or stillness — it’s found in motion.
-Daniel Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment