Financial Literacy at Urban University

 On Thursday, November 13th, my brother David, Mom, and I joined my brother Dallas at the Erie City Mission Dining Hall (1017 French St) for presentations on financial literacy. At 5:15 PM, everyone bowed their heads in prayer before enjoying some pizza and a salad bar.


The event was hosted by Urban University, where the students were taking classes on financial literacy. These classes covered topics like managing a budget, avoiding unnecessary loans, staying out of debt, and understanding how to use credit cards responsibly. The students had been attending these classes for about four weeks.


Personally, I found the presentations very useful. Growing up on the autism spectrum, opportunities to learn about financial skills like these were rare. Hearing guidance on what to do—and what not to do—helped expand my knowledge, and I plan to apply several of the lessons I learned from the presentations in my own life.


-Daniel Gillespie 




David’s Insight:


On Thursday night at the Erie City Mission 


Me My Brothers and My Mom


Had got invited by Ms. Rose


For Dinner at the Erie City Mission Hall


Hosted by Urban University 


She gave us a tour of the building 


And we had sat down at the tables 


That were set up for visitors 


That were attending to this event 


She gave my Mom a iPad that had


Some questions on how could they


Improve or make an impact on their 


Next projects for future events 


Then after my Mom completed 


And handed over the tablet 


Back to Ms. Rose


Then the event was about to begin 


We had Pizza and a Salad Bar


And we had some cookies for dessert 


And some beverages 


Then we were having some conversations 


About Finances and Money Management 


That the students were working on 


For about 4 weeks at Urban University 


The event was about Financial Literacy 


And how to save, invest and manage 


Your money 


The kids that joined this program 


Had worked hard on these projects 


And they all presented to their parents 


What they are going to do with their money 


When they find a career 


After they Graduate from high school 


Or college 


Even my younger brother even 


Attended this program 


And he presented his project to the 


Families that were there 


And I was very impressed 


Everyone was very determined 


And desired 


To what they want to achieve 


And accomplish in the future 


And I think this is a good opportunity 


For people who don’t know 


What they want to do 


For themselves as it definitely 


Helps them find a career after graduation 


Rather than graduating after high school 


And trying to figure it out on their own 


As even for me being on the spectrum 


I’m still trying to figure out 


My career path 


As an Adult 


Even though I have been working 


In some areas 


And even though I graduated 


In 2015


I still got room to grow 


And I’m not giving up yet 


And even though 


Some people might get there faster 


Than others 


And some might get there quicker 


At the finish line than me


I still got time to make it


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther