Wrestling Nights: Me, My Brother, and JW

Wrestling Nights: Me, My Brother, and JW

Some of my favorite memories aren’t from vacations or big milestones—they’re from simple nights at home with my brother and our stepdad. Funny enough, those nights usually involved the flashing lights, wild entrances, and over-the-top drama of WWE.

Growing up, it was usually just my brother and me watching wrestling because our stepdad JW didn’t really care for it at first. But eventually, he’d sit down with us, and all three of us would end up on the couch with our snacks in hand, waiting for the show to start. My brother and I would get hyped, picking which wrestler we were rooting for. Our stepdad would laugh and cheer whenever someone jumped off the top rope for an elbow drop, amazed every time like it was the first he’d ever seen it. We’d crack up whenever he’d let a cuss word slip after a big body slam—he’s got no filter, and that always made it funnier.

Growing up, my favorite wrestler was Kofi Kingston. He’s Jamaican, and since I have family members from Jamaica, I always thought it was cool to see someone who looked like us and represented that part of our culture. His entrance music was catchy too. I liked him and Big E even more when they teamed up to form The New Day. Their energy, positivity, and personalities just stood out to me.

These days, my favorite wrestler to watch is LA Knight. I really like his gimmick and attitude—it reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin. I always imitate him when he says “Yeah!” because it’s fun to do and makes me smile. Sometimes with autism, we do things like that—it’s part of how we connect, express excitement, and feel good about ourselves.

- Daniel Gillespie

Not a Sports Fan—Just a Wrestling One



Growing up I wasn’t really a sports person 


I’m not a fan of sports 


But my Brothers and my Stepdad are 


But I did enjoy watching wrestling 


Growing up with my brother 


I grew up playing some of the WWE games


With my brother that would come out 


Back when I was younger 


We played games together such as


WWE Smackdown VS. Raw 2009 

(Xbox 360)


WWE ‘13 & WWE ‘15 (Xbox 360)


WWE Smackdown VS. Raw 2011 (PS2)


Even we would watch it everyday 


When it comes on 


On Monday’s Tuesday’s and Friday’s


Even though I know that it’s not “Real”


And that it’s only Entertainment 


I still enjoy it everyday 


Because that’s what I grew up watching 


I Remember me and my Brother 


Practicing some wrestling moves 


On each other when we were younger 


My brother would try to head butt me


If I try to go for a lower move


And would try to go for a pin 


But it would never work 


I remember back then 


At my older house 


When I was a younger kid 


Standing on the gold chair


With my hands in the air 


Fingers pointed towards the ceiling 


Like I was Jeff Hardy


I started to do his signature moves 


Then I went to jump on my Dad’s back


I thought I was at a wrestling match 


But I didn’t win


As I got older


The stuff that I enjoyed hasn’t changed 


Even now my Stepdad has been 


Watching wrestling with us 


And before he wouldn’t watch it with us


Until we got him hooked to it


Now every Monday, Tuesday 


And Friday 


And whenever there’s Live Events 


We have what we call “Man Time”


Which means Me, My Brother 


And my Stepdad 


Enjoy our time together as Men


Watching wrestling 


And spend time together 


And we enjoy it 


- David Gillespie





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther