🍂 Getting Lost (and Found) at Port Farms

Fall has a way of slowing life down just enough to remind you what matters — fresh air, good company, and a little adventure. That’s exactly what I got when my girlfriend and I spent the afternoon at Port Farms in Waterford, PA.

As soon as we pulled in, the smell of kettle corn hit me, and I knew we were in for a good day. The crisp air, the sound of leaves crunching under our shoes, and the rows of bright orange pumpkins set the perfect fall mood. We started at the pumpkin patch, walking through the field trying to find “the one.” She picked up a few that were shaped a little funny, and we laughed about whose pumpkin would make the better jack-o’-lantern. It wasn’t about finding the perfect one — it was about the moment, and that made it special.

After that, we decided to tackle the corn maze — which, honestly, looked easier from the outside. Once we were a few turns in, everything started looking the same. Tall stalks, dirt paths, and no clear way out. She ended up getting us lost and I joked about it, but eventually, I was the one who helped us find the exit. We celebrated like we’d just conquered a mountain — maybe not Mount Everest, but it felt like it for us.

Of course, no fall day is complete without a little treat. We stopped for apple cider with a donut on top — and let me tell you, that combo is different. Warm, sweet, and just right after all that wandering. I couldn’t resist grabbing some kettle corn too, because the smell alone was impossible to ignore.

As the sun started to set, the sky turned that perfect shade of gold that makes every photo look like it belongs in a postcard. We sat for a while, talking, laughing, and just soaking up the moment. There was something simple yet meaningful about it — no distractions, no rush, just us enjoying fall the way it’s meant to be.

If you ever find yourself near Waterford, Pennsylvania, make a stop at Port Farms. Between the pumpkin patch, the maze, and the sweet cider, it’s one of those places that reminds you that the best memories are often the simplest ones.

Being autistic, I’ve learned that sensory experiences can be overwhelming — the sounds, textures, and crowds of places like farms used to make me anxious. But days like this remind me how far I’ve come. I was able to enjoy the sounds of laughter, the smell of cider, and the feel of cool air without shutting down or needing to escape.

In a way, that corn maze felt like a small reflection of my life on the spectrum. There are moments where I feel lost or unsure of where the next turn will lead, but with patience — and the right person walking beside me — I always find my way out.

Fall teaches me that there’s beauty in slowing down and embracing the journey, even when the path isn’t clear. And for me, that’s what autism has always been about — learning to navigate the maze at my own pace, finding comfort in the chaos, and celebrating the simple victories that others might overlook.

Because sometimes, getting lost isn’t the problem — it’s how you find yourself along the way. 🍂

Written by Daniel Gillespie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther