My Workout Routine at the YMCA, Mercyhurst University and Home Workout Routine
Just like my brother David, my workout routine has always evolved, and we often do similar exercises. For me, having a consistent routine has always been important—something my autism really connects with. Back in high school, my mom, David, and I would go to the YMCA at 4 a.m. I found that those early mornings and structured workouts gave me a sense of control and calm. I’d jog a few laps around the track, then move to the weight room, starting with smaller weights to gradually build strength. Focusing on specific exercises helped me stay grounded and focused.
In college, my routine became more consistent. During my junior and senior years at Mercyhurst University, I worked out on Mondays and Wednesdays with exercises like bench presses (140 lbs × 10 reps), dumbbell curls, sit-ups, push-ups, and tricep extensions (40 lb dumbbells). On Thursdays and Fridays, I focused on lower-body exercises like squats, leg presses, incline machines, and calf raises. I didn’t always follow strict sets or reps—I just went until I was tired and sweating. Finishing each session with a treadmill walk for 30 minutes gave me a predictable way to cool down and process the day.
Today, I do home workouts using rice buckets, following a routine similar to David’s. I do “rice curls,” “rice presses,” sit-ups, planks, and elevated push-ups. These exercises may look simple, but the repetition and structure help me stay focused and consistent, which is especially important as someone on the autism spectrum.
As a type 2 diabetic on Ozempic, I’m also focused on weight loss and portion control. During lunch breaks, I walk around the block near the Courthouse or explore new paths. These walks give me a break from work and a predictable sensory experience that helps me reset.
I currently weigh 248 lbs and am steadily moving toward my goal of 240 lbs. I’m proud of myself—not just for the numbers, but for showing up consistently, adapting to new routines, and finding ways to make fitness work for me as a Black autistic man. This journey has taught me that structure, focus, and perseverance are just as important as the exercises themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment