Bocce Ball at Urban University

 Daniel’s Thoughts on Bocce Ball with Urban University


On Saturday, September 27th, my brothers David and Dallas and I had the chance to play bocce ball at an event hosted by Urban University. My mom and stepdad, JW, joined in on the fun too. Everyone wore name tags so it was easier to know who was who, and it really helped us connect and bond with each other.


The goal of the game was simple: roll your ball as close as possible to the silver ball. Our practice match was split into two teams and my team used the red balls and the other team used green. We played until 11 points. My first couple of rolls went too far, but by my third try I finally got the hang of it and made my best throw of the day.


After practicing, Miss Rose introduced what she called the “Bocce Olympics.” The event lasted from 2:00–5:00, with a pizza and salad break at 3:00. Once we ate, everyone was divided into seven teams. I was on Team 3, named the High Rollers, while David was on Team 6. Funny enough, we had to face each other right away! My team used the green balls, and David’s team used the red.


Since I’m a visual learner, I made sure to watch how other players rolled before it was my turn. That strategy really helped me. We played up to seven points, and as High Rollers, we ended up playing five rounds total and ended up winning three and losing two.


Overall, I had so much fun playing bocce ball for the first time. It was a great way to learn something new, meet new people, and spend time with my family. Big thanks to Miss Rose and Urban University for hosting such an amazing event and letting us be a part of it!





*David’s Thoughts*



I had a great time at Urban University 


Playing the Bocci Olympics With my family 


Playing Bocci was a new experience for me 


And something new that I learned from 


Different cultures and environments 


I enjoyed learning how to play this game 


With my family


And meet new people


And get to socialize more with older 


And younger individuals 


We first started with a practice game


To get warmed up


At first it was hard to me


But after a few practice sessions 


I got used to it 


And they told me 


When you throw the ball 


You don’t have to throw it so hard


I imagined it like bowling 


Or like cornhole the way the game


Is set up


Because each player has a ball


Red or green 


And then there is a small silver ball


That one person throws in the middle 


Of the court or wherever the farthest it goes


And each person on each team


Gets to throw the ball 


At least to the silver ball 


And you could knock out the other 


Opponents ball out if it’s blocking 


The silver ball


But the objective is to get next to 


The silver ball


Each team has to score to 7 points 


Whoever scores to 7 points wins the game 


We started with the practice rounds 


Then after a few practice sessions 


It was time for the championship game 


I was facing my Mom


I honestly didn’t want to beat her


I wanted to let her win


But I still kept my A-Game


And in the end


My mom ended up winning 


The championship! 


Her team won she won a big prize of m&ms


After the event me and my brother 


Had met an individual 


Who was also on the spectrum 


Looking for job opportunities 


And I also got to meet with Ms. Rose


Who put together this wonderful event 


That me and my family had enjoyed 


Very much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Brown Side Of Autism

Autism Group Millcreek Karate

Bowling Party for Luther