Autism, Football, and the City: My Labor Day Weekend in Pittsburgh
Labor Day weekend in Pittsburgh was one for the books. My girlfriend, her family, and I made the trip to catch the Pitt vs. Duquesne game, and as someone who’s autistic, experiences like this are always a mix of excitement, planning, and a little bit of “okay, let’s brace for the crowds.”
The city itself had such a vibe — bridges, rivers, and that sea of blue and gold everywhere you looked. The energy around game day was unreal. Walking into the stadium, I felt that familiar rush: the roar of the crowd, the smell of stadium food, the music blasting. It’s a lot for my senses, but in the best way possible.
I won’t lie — there were moments when it got overwhelming. The noise, the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds, and the constant movement can feel like sensory overload. But what helped was having my girlfriend by my side. She knows when I need to step away for a breather or when I need to just zone out for a minute before rejoining the action.
Once I settled in, though, I had so much fun. Cheering, laughing, eating “chicken on a stick” (which was surprisingly good) — it all made me feel part of something bigger. Moments like these remind me that autism doesn’t keep me from enjoying life; it just means I experience it a little differently. Watching Pitt win against Duquesne 61-9 was a great moment to watch as well.
We also stopped by Emee’s and enjoyed some cookie cake, which added another sweet memory to the weekend.
What made this trip special wasn’t just the game, though — it was sharing the experience. Spending time with my girlfriend and her family, creating those memories, and feeling that sense of belonging meant more than anything.
Trips like these aren’t always easy, but they’re always worth it. And for me, that’s what the Brown Side of Autism is all about — living life fully, even when it means stepping out of my comfort zone.
Comments
Post a Comment