My Sensory World: What People Don’t See
Imagine walking into a busy store—music blasting from the speakers, carts squeaking on the floor, and bright fluorescent lights flickering above. To most people, it’s just background noise. To me, it feels like every sound, every light, and every movement is screaming for my attention all at once. My heart beats faster, my skin feels tight, and all I can think about is getting out before it becomes too much. This is what my sensory world can feel like—and it’s something people don’t always see.
Sounds
For me, sound is the biggest trigger. It’s not just loud noises—it’s how unpredictable they can be. A sudden siren outside, kids screaming in a store, or even too many conversations happening at once can feel like someone is turning the volume knob in my brain all the way up.
I remember one time when I used to work at Family Dollar when a cart slammed into a shelf behind me. Everyone else barely flinched, but my body went into full panic mode. My hands started to shake, my chest tightened, and I just wanted to disappear. Moments like that make it hard to explain to people why I need to step away or wear noise-canceling headphones. It’s not about being rude or antisocial; it’s about trying to stay grounded when my senses are in overdrive.
Lights and Visuals
Fluorescent lights are my worst enemy. They don’t just “brighten” a room—they hum, they flicker, and they make it almost impossible for me to focus. Most people don’t even notice, but for me, it’s like being stuck under a spotlight that never turns off.
I remember in high school, sitting in class and staring at the ceiling, trying not to get completely annoyed because the lights were buzzing so loud in my head. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to pay attention—it was that my brain was too busy dealing with the sensory chaos to take in anything else. Even now, I still catch myself scanning a room for softer lighting or a spot by the window where I can breathe.
Touch and Textures
Textures can be just as overwhelming as sound or light. Certain fabrics make my skin crawl—like tags in shirts or rough seams that dig into my shoulders. It’s not just “discomfort”; it’s an itch I can’t ignore, no matter how hard I try.
I’ve always preferred soft, simple clothes because they feel safe. Hoodies, sweatpants, and cotton t-shirts are my go-tos, not just for comfort but for sanity. I remember being a kid and refusing to wear dress clothes for church because the collars and stiff fabric made my whole body tense up. People thought I was just being “difficult,” but really, I was trying to escape a sensory nightmare.
Smell and Taste
Smells hit me hard—sometimes in good ways, sometimes in ways that make me feel sick. Strong perfumes, cleaning supplies, or even certain foods can be too much. It’s like the smell takes over my whole head, and I can’t focus on anything else until I’m away from it. But on the flip side, the right smells can bring me comfort and peace. Fresh laundry, the smell of rain, or food cooking in the kitchen can instantly calm me down and make me feel safe. Certain scents carry memories too—like a favorite meal from childhood or the smell of a candle that reminds me of home. Those “good smells” aren’t just pleasant; they anchor me and help balance out the harder moments.
Taste can be just as tricky. Certain textures in food—like mushy fruits or anything slimy—are almost impossible for me to handle. It’s not about being “picky” or “dramatic”; it’s that my brain processes those textures like danger signals. Over time, I’ve learned what works for me and what doesn’t, but it still makes things like family meals or eating out more stressful than people realize.
What People Don’t See
What most people don’t realize is the invisible effort it takes to cope with all of this. Masking discomfort, trying to stay calm, or avoiding meltdowns can feel like a full-time job. Just because I look “fine” on the outside doesn’t mean my body and mind aren’t exhausted. It’s a constant balancing act between surviving sensory input and engaging with the world.
My Coping Strategies
Over the years, I’ve learned ways to manage my sensory world:
- Noise-canceling headphones for overwhelming sounds.
- Finding spots with softer lighting or natural light.
- Wearing comfortable, soft clothing that keeps my body calm.
- Taking breaks or stepping away when stimuli become too much.
- Using routines and familiar spaces to feel grounded.
- Prayer and mindfulness, which help me stay centered when everything feels chaotic.
A Message to Others
If someone seems quiet, distracted, or irritable, they might just be overwhelmed. A little patience, understanding, and kindness can make all the difference.
Even though my sensory world can be intense, it’s also full of comfort and joy—like music that soothes, textures that feel safe, and quiet moments that recharge me. Learning to navigate it has taught me patience, self-awareness, and resilience. And that’s something worth sharing
Most people don’t realize what goes on beneath the surface. To the world, I might look calm, focused, or even quiet—but inside, my senses are constantly at work. Loud noises, flickering lights, certain textures, and strong smells can feel overwhelming, like every part of me is on high alert.
I’ve learned ways to cope—soft clothes, quiet spaces, headphones, routines, and prayer—but it hasn’t always been easy. Sharing my sensory world isn’t just about struggles; it’s about giving people a glimpse into what life feels like through my eyes, my ears, and my skin.
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to navigate the world with autism, come step inside my sensory world. I promise it’s full of challenges, but also moments of comfort, joy, and resilience.
Comments
Post a Comment