Our Work Experience
David and Daniel’s Work Experience
A shared blog by David Gillespie and Daniel Gillespie
My Journey Through Work and Autism
By Daniel Gillespie
As many people know, having autism can affect different aspects of daily life—including how we experience and manage work. For me, that’s been a journey of growth, self-awareness, and learning how to adapt to different environments while staying true to myself.
My work experience began in high school through OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation). They help people like me explore career paths and find jobs, and they also provided me with a job coach who guided me along the way. My first placement was at CVS, where I worked as a cashier and stocker. I helped customers at the register and restocked food and household items. It was my first time in a fast-paced retail setting, and I quickly learned how important structure and consistency are to my success.
Later, while attending college, I worked at Family Dollar for about two years. Like at CVS, I handled cashier and stocking duties, but I also helped unload and organize deliveries from the truck—often staying late for overtime. At times, I was the only cashier while also needing to restock, which felt overwhelming. For someone with autism, those moments were especially challenging because of the sensory overload and the pressure of multitasking. But I stayed committed. Over time, I developed stronger time management and communication skills, and I learned new ways to manage stress that worked for me.
Now, I’m working as a tipstaff at a courthouse. In this role, I assist judges in the courtroom, maintain order, manage case files, and ensure everyone involved in a case is present and prepared. I swear people in and announce the judge very loudly. I was nervous my first day when I had to announce the judge but as time went on I’ve got more confident. This position has been a great fit for me because of its structure and clear expectations. The skills I gained in retail—like reliability, attention to detail, and professionalism—helped prepare me for this step. At the same time, I’ve gained new knowledge about the legal system and courtroom procedures.
Each of these experiences has helped me grow—not just as a worker, but as a person. I’ve learned how to adapt, how to advocate for myself, and how to keep moving forward even when things feel tough. Autism may come with unique challenges, but it also gives me unique strengths and perspectives that I bring to every job I do.
From High School to Finding My Path: My Journey of Work and Growth
After graduating from high school in 2015, I began working with an organization titled OVR, which helps students transition from school to work by finding jobs and exploring career paths. Like so many young adults, I was still figuring out what I wanted to do, what I enjoyed, and where my strengths and weaknesses were.
My first job after graduation was at LECOM Fitness & Wellness Center, where I worked in housekeeping. My responsibilities included keeping the bathrooms and equipment clean, washing and folding towels, and making sure everything was sanitary for residents. To be honest, I didn’t enjoy that job, and I struggled a lot with anxiety. Sometimes I would even hide in the bathroom because the transition from school to the working world felt overwhelming. It was a big adjustment going from the familiar hallways of school to a completely new routine.
Then the pandemic hit, and like everyone else, my life slowed down. I stayed home most of the time until my mom showed me an opportunity to volunteer at the Second Harvest Food Bank in 2021. At first, I was nervous, but my mom encouraged me to smile and reminded me that my smile could light up a room. That experience boosted my confidence. I volunteered nearly 60 hours, earned a certificate, and felt proud that I was doing something that gave me a sense of purpose.
After that, I connected with Mission Empower, another organization like OVR. They helped me identify my strengths and weaknesses, set goals, and build confidence in myself. In 2023, they placed me at EUMA (Erie United Methodist Alliance), a nonprofit that helps people struggling with housing and homelessness.
At EUMA, I gained a wide variety of experiences: data entry (my favorite), yard work, helping with donations, going on the truck to pick up furniture, filing, and keeping the workplace clean. Each day was different, and I enjoyed learning new skills. Working there made a huge impact on me—it gave me more confidence, helped me feel comfortable in the outside world, and showed me that I could succeed in a job I enjoyed.
The people at EUMA, along with my job coach, were supportive and encouraging. On my last day, they even threw me a party, which meant a lot to me. They told me that if I ever needed anything, I could reach out, and I will always remember their kindness.
Looking back, I’ve come a long way—from being an anxious new graduate hiding in the bathroom at my first job, to volunteering, to working in a role where I felt proud and celebrated. I know my story isn’t finished yet. I’ve learned to take things one step at a time, keep growing, and trust that God is still unfolding the next chapter of my journey.
- David Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment