The Unseen Struggle: Being Autistic and Black/Brown in America
When people hear “autism,” they usually picture a white child. Rarely someone who looks like me or my brother. Brown-skinned. Deep-feeling. Autistic—and proud. We’ve always been here, but the world hasn’t always seen us.
👤 Daniel’s Side: Finding My Place
When I was younger, people would say, “You don’t look autistic.” My mom heard that a lot about me and my brother. But what does autism even “look like”? They only said that because they had a stereotype in their minds—and we didn’t fit it.
I wasn’t labeled badly, and I had people around me who believed in me. But I still noticed that autism in Black and Brown kids wasn’t well understood. There weren’t kids like me in the books. We weren’t on TV. And most people didn’t know what to look for, so they overlooked us.
As I’ve grown up, I’ve had to advocate for myself in small ways. I’ve had to explain things to people who didn’t get it—not because I owe them that, but because the world doesn’t always make space for neurodivergent voices that look like mine.
👤 David’s Side: Faith Through the Fire
For me, being autistic and Brown in this country feels like you’re constantly trying to prove you’re human enough. Not a threat. Not a stereotype. Just you. People see our skin before they ever understand our struggles—and when autism is layered on top, they think we’re dangerous, disrespectful, or unworthy.
I’ve been in situations where I was overstimulated, anxious, or shut down—and people around me just thought I was “acting up.” They don’t realize how deep the pain runs when your brain is fighting your body, and the world is watching you with judgment.
But I’ve learned to hold on to one truth: God made no mistakes with us. My autism isn’t brokenness. It’s part of my design.
My motto has always been: trust the process.
Even when life feels unfair. Even when people label you before they listen. Trusting the process means believing that God is working in ways we can’t always see. It means knowing that what’s hard now won’t always be hard later on in life. That every shutdown, every prayer, and every misunderstood moment is shaping something stronger inside of us.
It means holding on when you feel alone in a crowd.
It means staying rooted when your mind wants to spiral.
It means forgiving people who misjudge you, not for their sake—but for your peace.
Trusting the process is refusing to shrink yourself just to fit into someone else’s comfort zone.
It’s learning that survival isn’t weakness—it’s strength.
And most of all, it’s realizing that being autistic and Brown in this world is not a burden. It’s a calling. A testimony. A truth that still deserves to shine.
There are days when I’ve cried behind closed doors, felt misunderstood in rooms full of people, and wondered why God gave me this particular path. But every time, He reminds me: this isn’t the end—it’s part of the molding.
And that molding? That fire? It’s producing gold.
🧩 What They Don’t See
They don’t see the quiet moments we’ve had to survive.
They don’t see the tears we’ve cried in silence or the courage it takes to walk into rooms where we feel unseen.
They don’t see the times we wanted to speak but couldn’t—and how heavy that silence felt.
They don’t see how much energy it takes just to “act normal” so we don’t get judged or feared.
They don’t see how hard it is to explain a meltdown when even we don’t always have the words.
They don’t see the battles we fight in our own minds every day—battles between overstimulation and shutdown, masking and authenticity, and pain and perseverance.
They don’t see the strength it takes to keep showing up in spaces that were never built for us.
They don’t see the pressure of always having to translate yourself just to be understood.
They don’t see the way we carry our ancestors’ struggles in one hand and our own diagnosis in the other—and somehow still walk with purpose.
They don’t realize that telling someone they “don’t look autistic” isn’t a compliment—it’s erasure.
They don’t understand that what looks like “too quiet,” “too intense,” or “too much” to them is actually survival. It’s who we are.
💪🏾 Why Representation Matters
The more we share our stories, the more space we make for others like us.
We’re not just diagnoses. We’re sons, brothers, artists, thinkers, and believers.
Being autistic and Brown is not a contradiction. It’s real. It’s valid. And it matters.
✍🏾 Final Word
To every Black or Brown autistic person:
You don’t have to fit their image.
You don’t have to prove your autism.
You are enough—because you exist.
We see you—because we are you.
Here at The Brown Side of Autism, your story matters. Your voice matters. And we’re proud to stand beside you.
— Daniel Gillespie & David Gillespie
Comments
Post a Comment