“It’s Okay to Not Be Okay”
From David’s Perspective:
Growing up, especially as a male, society sends a loud, clear message:
“Man up.”
“Stop crying.”
“Wipe those tears away.”
“Be strong.”
From TV shows to locker room talks, from relatives to random strangers, it’s drilled into us—don’t show weakness. Don’t feel too much. Don’t ask for help.
But here’s my truth:
Mental health isn’t a sign of weakness.
It’s not about toughness or how many emotions you can bury.
It’s about survival.
And it’s about honesty.
I’ve struggled with my mental health for as long as I can remember.
Depression.
Anxiety.
Bipolar Disorder.
ADHD.
And of course, autism.
Each of them shapes how I see the world and how the world sees me.
They affect the way I think, the way I react, and the way I process emotions.
They shape the way I connect with people—or sometimes, struggle to connect at all.
Some days, it feels like I’m carrying an invisible weight on my chest,
a storm raging inside my mind,
and nobody else can hear it but me.
Autism, in particular, plays a huge role in how I navigate life.
It makes social situations feel exhausting—
like walking into a room where everyone else has a map,
but I’m stuck trying to guess my way through the maze.
People often think I’m distant.
Cold.
Disinterested.
But the truth? I’m just overwhelmed.
Still, there’s one person who always gets it.
One person who’s never needed words to understand me—my mom.
She just knows.
She can take one look at me—into my eyes, at my posture, at the way I breathe—and she’ll ask, softly but firmly,
"You okay?"
And somehow, it’s like she already knows the answer.
I’ve never been able to figure out how she does it.
Maybe it’s just that deep connection, or maybe it’s that mother’s instinct.
But every single day, I thank God for her.
She’s been our constant—through every meltdown, every panic attack, every low point.
She’s shown nothing but unconditional love and patience,
even when the world turned its back on us.
That’s why I love her so deeply.
She’s our safe place.
She’s never given up on me or my brother.
No matter how hard life gets, she stays—steady, strong, and loving.
From Daniel’s Perspective:
Reading David’s words feels like looking in a mirror.
I feel everything he just shared because I’ve lived it too.
Mental health isn’t something we should be ashamed of—but too often, we are taught to hide it.
Especially as men of color.
Especially as autistic adults.
Society pressures us with words like "Toughen up."
"Stop being soft."
"You’re just looking for attention."
"Get over it."
But those words don’t erase the reality we face.
Depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, ADHD, and autism—they aren’t made-up labels or excuses.
They are real.
We wake up with them.
We go to sleep with them.
They shape every part of our lives, from how we think to how we breathe through our hardest moments.
I’ve had dark days too.
Moments when it felt like I was sinking inside my own mind,
with no one to throw a lifeline.
Moments where words failed me,
where I didn’t know how to ask for help.
And honestly, sometimes it still feels that way.
But just like David said—our mom…
She always knows. She doesn’t always need words.
She can read me through my silence.
She notices the smallest changes—in my tone, in my body language, and in how I answer (or don’t answer).
She’s been our rock through it all—through diagnoses, hospital visits, therapy sessions, and quiet nights where we didn’t know what tomorrow would bring.
She reminds me that no matter how heavy it gets,
we’re not walking through it alone.
We need more spaces for real conversations like this.
Especially in communities like ours—Black, Brown, and immigrant families—where too often, mental health struggles are ignored, silenced, or brushed under the rug.
If you’re reading this right now—let us both tell you:
It’s okay to not be okay.
You’re not weak.
You’re not broken.
You’re human.
You deserve love.
You deserve support.
You deserve to be heard.
Why We Shared This
At The Brown Side of Autism, we’re committed to breaking the silence.
We talk about autism, mental health, and everything in between—especially the struggles that often go unspoken in Black and Brown communities.
This is our space to be real.
To speak from the heart.
To share our truth, openly and honestly—and to remind others that they aren’t alone either.
If nothing else, we hope this post encourages you to do two simple things today:
Check on the people you love.
Be gentle with yourself, too.
Your feelings are valid.
Your story matters.
And above all—you are never alone.
—David & Daniel
Brown Side of Autism
We talk about autism, mental health, and everything in between—especially the struggles that often go unspoken in Black and Brown communities.
To speak from the heart.
To share our truth, openly and honestly—and to remind others that they aren’t alone either.
Check on the people you love.
Be gentle with yourself, too.
Your story matters.
And above all—you are never alone.
I'm so happy that you guys have started your blog. Tell your truth. You guys are truly my heroes. I love you more 😘❤️ Momma
ReplyDeleteWe love you too!
DeleteThere are no words to express how proud I am of you all! I thank God for you and this platform. Your strength and transparency will empower many.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Cousin Sharla
Thank you cousin Sharla!
Delete